News Article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/07/24/fb_q2_earnings_facebook_stock_spikes_because_everyone_s_clicking_newsfeed.html
The title of this news article did not really surprised me or shocked me in anyway, but still interested me because, like so many others, I use facebook. The article talked about how facebook company suffered and had a hard time in the beginning. However, it seems that everything turned around recently. With its lauching on facebook app on phones and tablets, the company met its success. Also, more people everday use facebook as a way to socialize with people. The whole point of this article was to show people facebook is getting stronger despite all the rumors.
I thought this article was quite interesting to read and it really did grab my attention while I was reading. I never knew that a company so feeble and weak can be so big and wealthy by only few years. I also knew that many people use facebook, but I had no idea that 700 millions of people use facebook. Alongside its popularity, the number of "advertisement clicks" and the price of advertisements also grew by a large amount, according to the article. Even with many more strong rivals like Twitter, Tumblr, and Snapchat, Facebook has remained steady and grew every minute.
The structure of this article was very much like an essay format. It first started off with a thesis stating that facebook is staronger than ever. Then, in subsequent paragraphs it gave specific details like statistcs and numbers. Near the end, it gave a counter-example as to show that there are some people who got bored with facebook. Finally, it ended with more evidences to go against that counter-example.
It's surprising for me to learn that Facebook had a rough start. I always thought that it has been a successful company ever since its origin, but I was wrong. The first two paragraphs that you wrote are pretty much summary, but it is hidden in the fact that you try to pass it off as your own thoughts about the topic. I like your last paragraph thought, since you discuss the format of each part of the article.
ReplyDeleteI also found this article interesting even though I am not a Facebook user. Unlike you, I was surprised to hear that Facebook is actually growing because I have often heard about people getting tired of Facebook and having complaints about its privacy policy. I agree with Allison that your commentary had a lot of summary, but I also agree with her that you did a good job commenting on the structure of the article.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Allison that you tried to pass your first and second paragraph as an analysis but it turned into a summary. While reading your commentary, I felt like you had little to no idea what you were writing. I feel if you had a stronger analysis, your commentary would have been much more interesting. I must say, however, that I enjoyed your last paragraph. It showed that you really took focus about the physical structure of the article.
ReplyDelete