Article Link: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/07/14/obama_issues_statement_calling_for_calm_after_zimmerman_acquittal.html
Obama made a speech about the death of Trayvon Martin. I assume he died of gun violence since the president said fighting the gun violence is the way to honor Trayvon Martin. He talked about how as citizens, we should protect our community, fight against gun violence, and prevent innocent deaths. And the author of this article included an opposing view upon this matter from the Republican Steve King. Republican Steve King said that the president made the situation worse by turning this incident into a political matter. His point was that the president should not have involved in this.
As for me, I disagree with Steve King. Having a president stepping up to declare a fight against gun violence makes a big difference. It makes a big push against the gun violence. By encouraging the citizens to help him out, the president inspired people to fight with him. Because of his speech, I think there will be a positive effect toward the battle against gun violence. I believe that the president did a good job of getting involved in this. In my opinion, the Republican Steve King just opposes him because the president is in the opposing political party, Democratic.
Overall, the author nicely summarized but did not analyze about President Obama's speech. The author also added the president's speech in the article, which I think is a good idea since the original speech clearly gives what the president's goal is. However, I think it was unneccesary to put what the Justice Department said because it gave us no useful information.
You have good commentary and was able to express your opinion of this case nicely. Reading this, I also disagree with Steve King since President Obama's choice to recognize this case can make strong "push against the gun violence" in Florida and anywhere else. Although the last paragraph seems a bit choppy to me, you had an excellent commentary on the article overall.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with you that the article did not have much commentary; however, I think the author was right in doing this. The Zimmerman trial is a sensitive subject since many people have passionate emotions about the case, whether it be positive or negative emotions. The author was able to present the information without spurring any unnecessary agitation with what he or she might have said if he or she were to write his or her opinion.
ReplyDeleteWhat might have helped your blog more is if you had elaborated on your commentary. You commented on Steven King's statement, but you could have also commented on Obama's speech. What did you think of his words? How did his speech present a positive effect towards the battle against gun violence?
Besides minor adjustments, I feel like your blog was good :)