News Article: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/politics/bush-immigration-speech/index.html?hpt=po_c1
It is not common for a former president of the United States come to an immigration ceremony. However, George W. Bush appeared for the ceremony held at his library and museum and left a short but strong impression for the change regarding immigration laws. He said that the immigration system is "broken" and there is a need for change. He also reminded people that America was built by the immigrants of different people. When someone asked him if the bill does not pass then would it harm the republican party, he answered that it is not to help the republican party but to "fix the system".
His point of view on this matter was very clear. He tried, though failed, to improve the immigration system when he was in his second term in office. His younger brother, Jeb Bush, also pushed for the change. George W. Bush undoubtedly sees a problem in the immigration laws therefore influencing Jeb Bush to take action as well. Jeb Bush, former Florida Governor, urged the house to pass the immigration reform laws.
I think that immigration laws are pretty stable at the moment. I also do not see a big problem that the former president sees for it is not specified in the article. Additionaly, George W. Bush points out that immigrants bring positive effects to our country. I, again, disagree with his opinion on this matter because many of the crimes occured in United States were caused by immigrants. If there is a better way for the immigration laws, then I think the change should happen. But, I just don't see any problem we have in our system right now.
I feel torn with the immigration laws. It is true that some immigrants bring positive changes to America, but some immigrants bring negative changes as well. I do agree that the immigration laws are pretty stable right now, but I really do believe it could get better. To some people, the immigration laws can seem unfair and some people feel it is necessary to stop the flow of people into America.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you stated that "many of the crimes occurred in United States were caused by immigrants", but I feel as though those crimes were simply more advertised. It's always easier to place the blame on another person. For instance, "Oh that crime? It wasn't America's problem, it might have been -insert a person's name who isn't "full out American"-'s fault."
Anyways, your blog was organized well. I like how it is organized by summary of the article, analysis, then your opinion on the subject. I think a little more analysis on why George W. Bush wanted to improve the immigration laws would be nice. Overall, it was an interesting blog and article. :)
I believe that George W. Bush is correct on this matter. We are Americans, but we aren't Native Americans. Modern America consists of immigrants who came here hundreds of years ago,so I do not think it is right for us to hinder immigration flow. If America was built by immigrants in the first place, it is only justified that we continue to allow more immigrants to possibly have the same positive effect. Currently, America has no true nationality since it consists of numerous ethnic backgrounds. Most of our families/ancestors were all immigrants at one point; therefore, I believe that we should continue to allow more immigrants to come, too.
ReplyDeleteYour blog encompassed a large summary that partially reduces the effect of your opinion. It would have been nice to see you elaborate more on your feelings towards the reformation of immigration laws. For example, you could have elucidated more on how reformations can possibly have a negative impact on America.
Other than that, your blog was quite sufficient :) Thank you for sharing the article and your opinion with us!