During the week of July 4th, there were 47 gunshots in the city of Chicago. 11 people were dead and many people more were wounded. Of those wounded people, there was a 5-year-old boy who got shot in the leg and stomach. His spleen, kidney, and pancreas were damaged due to the shooting and is unconscious in a hospital right now. The boy was outside in the park with his parents when this happened. A suspect of these gunshots was 24-year-old Darryl Chambers, a gang member.
All this happened even though the homicide rate has been steadily going down. There was a significant drop in crime rates because there was an increased number of poice officers stationed at places where crimes usually occured. However, I do not think that the homicide rates are goin down enough. People die from these accidents and we must figure out a solution and stop the innocent deaths from occuring. I believe there are more sufficient ways than stationing more poice officers.
I think there should be more ways to prevent these innocent killings because just stationing the police did not stop that boy from being shot. For example, there should be more strict rules or laws on gun owning. Most of these killings were made by gunshots and if we restrict more people from guns, I believe we can prevent more deaths. Even though the crime rates and homicide rates has been going down, there were killings and deaths occured not only in Chicago but across the world. I think we need more solutions to prevent these deaths and make our society more safe.
Shooting are indeed an unfortunate tragedy, so I appreciate your sharing your thoughts on how to curb such events. That being said, allow me to play devil's advocate. Would restricting people from guns effectively diminish gun violence? Consider the sale of illegal substances (i.e., drugs). Does their illicit nature diminish their pervasiveness?
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'd agree that there are no quick fixes to these issues; as such, might I suggest a healthy level of skepticism as to potential solutions in subsequent blogs.
Even though drugs are outlawed, they are still out there illegally traded. However, I think there are less drugs in our society because it is illegal. If it was not illegal, then there would be more drugs. As such, if guns were restricted from ordinary people, I believe it would at least bring in the positive effect to lowering the crime rates cause by guns.
DeleteI believe that I am with Darryl on this case. Although additional gun laws and restrictions may seem like they'll reduce shooting and homicide rates, I think there is a more questionable outcome. Like you said, even if guns are outlawed, there will be individuals that can acquire it illegally. Seeing that Chicago's reasons for its homicides and shootings are a result of gangs' actions, I understand that there must be a large number of gangs there. If so, I believe that outlawing guns would make many more people vulnerable. Gangs would still be able to obtain guns and commit crimes; however, there will be less people with weapons to protect themselves against gang members.
ReplyDeleteI believe that crime reduction requires more than just a few surface resolutions, such as increased gun laws and punishments. Instead, crime reduction has to begin by solving the root of all problems.